I can't believe that we are more than halfway through September! We have been so busy here in room D56 that time really seems to be FLYING by!
Here are the updates for the week!
This week we have continued working in our reading centers. The DIBELS team has finished testing all the students and we have adjusted our groupings. Next week will start the kick off of our reading program. More on all of this at Curriculum Night on the 25th!
HOMEWORK STARTS TONIGHT! Homework in this classroom is mostly about creating independence, responsibility, and routine for the kids. As homework continues throughout the year, please keep the following in mind:
- Stop after 15-20 minutes (even if homework is not finished)
- Tears and homework do not mix! If your child ever becomes upset and frustrated over doing their homework, please just write me a note on the paper and send it back to school the next day.
- When our math homework begins in a few weeks, I will put helpful videos up on our website. These can be hugely beneficial for parents to watch so you can know the language and methods we use here at school.
- REMEMBER TO READ EVERY NIGHT
* The homework coming home tonight is letter formation practice. Letter formation was a huge focus of kindergarten. Therefore, after the first few weeks of school we do not spend much time focusing on letter formation in First Grade. If your child needs more letter formation instruction, I will be offering packets at Curriculum Night that you can work on at home with your child. I can also copy Fundations paper for you to use at home.
Here is what the homework looks like for tonight so you know what to keep an eye out for in folders! Please send it back to school tomorrow!
Other Fun News:
CURRICULUM NIGHT: MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25th
PICTURE DAY: NEW DATE - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 27th